Feel More Alive in the New Year
© Suzanne W. Zoglio, Ph.D.
Ever feel like you’re sleep walking
through life? It’s easy to settle into
routines at work and in life that
leave us a bit numb and wondering if this is all there is. If your life has become a bit hum-drum with
too much work and too little fun, now is a perfect time to rev up your energy in the year ahead. If you
want to jump-start your life in the New Year, try these tips by Suzanne Zoglio, author of Recharge in
Minutes and Create A Life That Tickles Your Soul.
1. Schedule your “someday dozen” now.
Right now schedule 12 activities you’ve always wanted to do into your calendar-one per month. Whether you’ve been meaning to take a bike trip, visit a nearby museum, take a hot air balloon ride, go fly-fishing, or refinish that heirloom antique …do it. Reviving dreams is a surefire way to enliven your spirit.
2. Book quarterly “play dates.”
Call one friend or four and lock in a few dates that you both agree are written in stone; no matter what, you’ll get together. Staying connected awakens the heart.
3. Reinvent yourself.
Adopt one new positive habit instead of trying to break one that’s not serving you. Walk 20 minutes before you turn on TV. Read the comics before the investment page. Change your drive-time station to an uplifting one. Switch from coffee to green tea. Study the bible, a world atlas, or dictionary once a week. List what you’re grateful for every night just before you go to sleep. It’s never too late to become more of the person you want to be. Expand in 2005.
4. Give away a day.
Pick a cause you care about and commit a day to helping them out. Work on a house for Habitat for Humanity, deliver Meals on Wheels, or help your church clean up an elderly person’s yard -- whatever appeals to you. You’ll be surprised how much joy will come back to you when you’re through.
5. Start each day on purpose.
To feel alive, we need to know how that we’re using our days in meaningful ways, not just putting time in. Before you get out of bed each morning, answer 3 questions: What kind of person do I want to be today (fun, calm, generous)? What three things do I want to accomplish (important to you!)? Where can you make a difference in someone else’s life (with a call, a gesture, a helping hand)?
© Suzanne W. Zoglio, Ph.D.
Article? Recommend It!
Do a friend a favor
and tell them about it. Simply fill in and
submit the form below.
Note: we will NOT
sell or give away your email address to
- 7 Keys to Building Great Teams
- A Region Suffers-A Nation Grieves
- Are You Mad About the Holidays?
- Are You Wired For Success?
- At The Crossroads of a Tickled Soul
- Begin the Healing
- Don't Let Stress Get the Best of You
- Every Soldier
- Feel More Alive in the New Year
- Gratitude is a Gift
- Have More Energy
- Living Full -- Living True: The Authentic Life
- No More Monday Blahs
- Pursuing Passion
- Quick Lifts for Busy People
- Recharge Your Team: 3 Secrets to Boosting Energy
- Resilience: The Art of Bouncing Back
- Soulful Living is Living from the Inside Out
- The Presence of Christmas
- There’s More to Life than Gathering Nuts
- Three Steps to Increasing Inner Peace
- You Can Lift Yourself Up